Organizing Photos by Capture Date Instead of Download Date

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a simple way to organize photos based on the date they were actually taken rather than the date they were downloaded. I often download images from different devices and sources, so using the download date makes it difficult to keep my photo library organized chronologically.

Ideally, I’d like to automatically sort photos into folders such as 2024/01, 2024/02, 2024/03, using the original capture date stored in the photo metadata.

Has anyone found an effective way to do this with Hazel or another Mac tool? I’d especially appreciate suggestions for handling photos that have missing or incorrect capture dates.

Thanks!
fabricduring
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2026 12:14 am

Try "Other"->"Date Taken (Hazel)".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:30 am
Location: New York City


Return to Support